Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wicked Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce

What's your favourite and most used foodie adjective? I love describing food, but I have to stop myself from getting too carried away and from getting too poetic. I get on a roll talking about it and I often think it must bore people who aren't as interested in food as I am. Its a bit like when the boys start talking footy, I tend to zone out and stare blankly into the distance and all I hear is blah blah blah blah.
I apologise to you if I have ever talked you into a daze with my foodie nattering. I suppose if I had, you wouldn't be here, coming back for more.
Anyway, I once worked for a wonderful woman who told me to make a salad look "sexy" for the display cabinet. I couldn't believe my ears, and wondered what on earth I was meant to do to that salad. Give it curves?
I always thought that was a weird way to describe jazzing up food. It didn't seem to be the right word to use, but I suppose some would disagree. I thought it sounded a bit off. I don't want to eat sexy food, do you?
But when I describe this dark chocolate fudge sauce as being wicked, I mean it. It is almost black with cocoa, drizzles slowly with a certain lethal attitude, is super thick and holds a deadly sheen. If it could laugh it would sound like a deep, evil chuckle. It looks so delicious served warm and drizzled over ice cream, and tastes even better than it appears. You will want more ice cream after a bowl of it, just to experience that chocolate fudge sauce again. It's the ultimate temptation, and that's why it is so wicked. To make things even better, its slightly boozy, and can be flavoured as desired. I added Frangelico liqueur to this mix, but hubby and I both agreed that creme de menthe or mint liqueur would have also been amazing.



WICKED DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE SAUCE (adapted from My Sweet and Saucy)

200g good quality dark chocolate bits
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp. golden syrup (corn syrup can substitute)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 tbsp. frangelico or other flavouring

Place the chocolate in a microwavable bowl. Cook at 20 second intervals, removing to stir before setting on for a further 20 seconds. The melting time will depend on the strength of your microwave, however when there are just small lumps of chocolate among the melted, you can just give it a good stir until it's smooth. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, place sugar, golden syrup, water, cocoa and cofee granules. Set at a medium heat and whisk constantly until the mixture comes to the boil. Cook, still whisking, for a further minute, before removing from the stovetop. Whisk in the chocolate and alcohol until smooth. Serve warm over icecream, profiteroles etc, or bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.

NOTES: I recommend using a bottle with a wide mouth that a spoon can fit into if refrigerating, as the sauce thickens when it cools. You can reheat the mixture quickly in the microwave, but be careful not to burn it. Makes about 2 cups.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just found your yummy sounding recipe. Do you have any idea how long the sauce would keep for? As I'm thinking of making some up as Christmas gifts.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea! I am not certain how long it would last, but my guess is several weeks if refrigerated. It doesnt contain any dairy that could make it go funky, so I assume it would last a while. Sorry I dont have a definite answer for you! It never lasts long enough around here for me to know when it would go bad...

      Delete
  2. Did you know that you can create short links with BCVC and receive dollars from every click on your short urls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Gelato Supply Australia's leading manufacturer and supplier of
    Gelato pans, cones, spoons, ice cream scoop freezer, pan liners and much more.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...